[tei-council] guidelines front page

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Wed Jan 30 11:24:10 EST 2008

I know that Chris Ruotolo and Julia were going to be returning to the
overall site soon as there are a couple of outstanding issues (like
improving the news serving) that need addressing there, and some new
things (like building a proper on-line archive for our internal
documents).

In getting stuff done last year, we found that putting together
workgroups seemed to work better than getting a couple of people to
"look into it"--even if the workgroup consisted simply of the people who
had earlier volunteered.

Maybe the thing to do over the next week or so is think about what kind
of things we'd like globally to change on the website (for example,
could we improve upon the already improved upon explanation of who and
what we are?) and then look into establishing a workgroup to start on
the issues, reporting back and asking for help as necessary?

-dan

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 08:08 +0100, Laurent Romary wrote:
> I definitely like this page (which I use to show the TEI to others, but you are
> right that there should be a more comprehensive and direct access to the the
> guidelines right from the main TEI page. Could not we have a specific column
> below the main blue items with such direct entry points (cf. also example list,
> maybe project).
> Think all of the basic resources that a user may want to have a quick access to
> without bothering of the preliminary bla bla.
> Laurent
>

> Selon Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu>:
>
> > SR> Marcus B suggested a change, instantiated at
> > SR> http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/P5/Guidelines-web/en/html/, of showing
> > SR> chapter numbers.
> > SR>
> > SR> any problems with that?
> >
> > I think the change is an improvement, but the change we should be
> > making is to get rid of this page altogether. It is not supposed to
> > exist, and, frankly, has no excuse to exist except perhaps that Chris
> > was too rushed to appropriately fold this page into
> > http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/P5/ in the lead-up to release.
> >
> > As the site is right now, to get to read the contents of P5 a user
> > needs to go to the TEI website (http://www.tei-c.org/) and
> >
> > * click on "Guidelines"
> >
> > * either select "P5 Guidelines" from the javascript drop-down, or
> >   click on "P5 Guidelines" in the left-side navigation area
> >
> > * click on either "Browse the P5 Guidelines" in the left-side
> >   navigation area or "the online version of the P5 Guidelines" in the
> >   main prose (both take you to the same place, although the former
> >   via a redirect or some such)
> >
> > * click on "Table of Contents"
> >
> > This strikes me as one step too many. When the user clicks on
> > "Browse" or "online" links, they should be taken straight to the TOC.
> > The other links that are on what is now called "the front page"
> > should be on the same page that has the "Browse" and "online" links.
> >
> > Conceptually there isn't really any difference between
> > http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/P5/index.xml and
> > http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/index.html
> > although they are implemented very differently, and of course the
> > latter is part of the released package.
> >

> > I also find it a bit startling that the editors' names have been
> > removed from this new "front page", as it was the only place in the
> > online edition that they were mentioned. Perhaps I'm being a selfish
> > glory-seeking pig, but I think it appropriate to mention me & Lou
> > *somewhere* in the P5 hierarchy.

Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Department Chair and Associate Professor of English
Director, Digital Medievalist Project http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative http://www.tei-c.org/

Department of English
University of Lethbridge