[tei-council] guidelines front page

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Tue Jan 29 22:14:29 EST 2008

SR> Marcus B suggested a change, instantiated at
SR> http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/P5/Guidelines-web/en/html/, of showing
SR> chapter numbers.
SR>
SR> any problems with that?

I think the change is an improvement, but the change we should be
making is to get rid of this page altogether. It is not supposed to
exist, and, frankly, has no excuse to exist except perhaps that Chris
was too rushed to appropriately fold this page into
http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/P5/ in the lead-up to release.

As the site is right now, to get to read the contents of P5 a user
needs to go to the TEI website (http://www.tei-c.org/) and

* click on "Guidelines"

* either select "P5 Guidelines" from the javascript drop-down, or
  click on "P5 Guidelines" in the left-side navigation area

* click on either "Browse the P5 Guidelines" in the left-side
  navigation area or "the online version of the P5 Guidelines" in the
  main prose (both take you to the same place, although the former
  via a redirect or some such)

* click on "Table of Contents"

This strikes me as one step too many. When the user clicks on
"Browse" or "online" links, they should be taken straight to the TOC.
The other links that are on what is now called "the front page"
should be on the same page that has the "Browse" and "online" links.

Conceptually there isn't really any difference between
http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/P5/index.xml and
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/index.html
although they are implemented very differently, and of course the
latter is part of the released package.

I also find it a bit startling that the editors' names have been
removed from this new "front page", as it was the only place in the
online edition that they were mentioned. Perhaps I'm being a selfish
glory-seeking pig, but I think it appropriate to mention me & Lou
*somewhere* in the P5 hierarchy.