[tei-council] 13 Names, Dates, People, an d Places

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 27 18:50:59 EST 2008

Lou's Laptop wrote:
> Brett Zamir wrote:
>> 1) For the line, "Characteristics</soCalled> or
>> <soCalled>traits</soCalled> are typically independent of an
>> individual's volition or action and can be either physical, such as
>> sex or hair and eye colour, or cultural, such as ethnicity, caste, or
>> faith." I really disagree with including "faith" as something which is
>> independent of an individual's volition or action.
> But many people are born into a faith, are they not? they cannot be said
> to choose that any more than they choose their parents? Of course they
> may go on to choose a different faith, but even when they do, they will
> often say they are an "ex-muslim" or "ex-jew" or whatever.

It all depends how one defines faith.  That the element's desc says "faith,
religion, or belief set of a person" highlights this, I think.  You can say a
person is born into a religion because the family is that religion, as an
extension to that you can say they are born into a faith, but then the silliness
of this is exposed if you say someone is born into a particular belief set.  It
seems completely obvious that no child on birth, and at least for a few years
after, has any particularly well-defined belief set that corresponds to a
human-based organised religion.  So while Lou is right that they are 'born into'
this faith without their volition, it depends whether you view the faith element
as indicating societal-perceived belief sets or actual belief sets. I won't go
onto a tangent about how bizarre it is to claim that children have made up their
minds about their belief sets long before we consider them rationally capable of
making up their minds on much less serious issues.  That is not the point.  I
think the viewing of this as a state instead of a trait is something which is an
editorial decision for an individual project.  I feel the Guidelines make it
more than clear that none of these 'traits' are necessarily immutable.  It could
point out that faith is one of those that is particularly disputable to
highlight the entire fluidity of traits vs states, perhaps.

The interesting thing about these 'traits' though, including the sex element,
are all members of att.datable which means they not only get a @from and @to
attribute but a @when attribute and the rest.  I think this is sufficiently
loose in leaving it to any individual project to decide how they feel about
this.  I'm only thinking about this because a project I'm involved with is
recording person elements for some people who quite demonstrably and obviously
declared changes in faith.

>> 1) Again on some of the "changeable" characteristics, I find it
>> inconsistent that <education> is a state, but <langKnown> is a
>> characteristic.
> Yes, I see that this does look a bit odd, and maybe langKnowledge is a
> boundary case. But education is definitely a state, surely?

I think it is slightly more complicated with both of these.  When 'education'
(or langKnown was used in corpora it tended to be a single historical fact,
expressing the highest level of education (or languages known) that person had
achieved at the point of recording.  So for the context of that document it
could be seen as a trait of the person, and I think many linguists use the
concept of educational level in a similar way to faith, socecStatus, etc. 'Show
me all the answers by secondary school students', etc.   But are treated as
fixed traits of the person, at the time of the creation of a spoken text.  The
problem comes when we take that concept of a person and use the same method to
talk about an abstraction of that person over time rather than at a fixed point
in time.  In the abstracted general person description, their education is a
state that changes over time, in the specific instance of any individual
document, the person's education is a trait of the person at the point in time
the document was created.  Obviously the date of the document should be compared
against any dates in any of these important states whenever making any such
deductions and interpretations.  (Though I worry some people might fall into
this as a methodological trap! I wouldn't want a corpus of all the works I'd
ever written to treat the essays I wrote in highschool equally to the articles
I've written more recently!)  I'm not suggesting the Guidelines change here
though, just that we should be aware that what we view as a state of a person,
others will be viewing as a trait of a person with respect to a particular
document in time.

-James