[tei-council] 13 Names, Dates, People, and Places

Lou's Laptop lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 27 12:47:21 EST 2008

Brett Zamir wrote:

> One general question first if I may... Is there a means at present to
> indicate the value for a <date> which is not W3C or ISO standard?
> Under which attribute could some normalized (but non-W3C/ISO-standard)
> form be placed? I don't see any @value attribute anymore... I forget
> where you all are with this one...

No. There is enough confusion in the world as it is... you can make the
*content* of your date element whatever format you please, but the
consensus was in favour of restricting the normalized attribute values
to forms which there was at least a chance that generic XML schema
processors (etc) would be able to validate. Some felt that we should
choose *either* W3C *or* ISO formats but not both. The current state of
affairs is a bit of a halfway house in that direction. Of course if you
want to add an attribute to supply a value normalised according to some
other scheme you can do so, but the TEI isn't going to.

> How about renaming the chapter to Names, People, Places, and Dates to
> keep the People-Place-Thing sequence together?
You mean because dates is the last thing discussed in the chapter? well,
possibly. but the council chose this title after much debate, so I am a
bit reluctant to change it.

> *13.1.1 Linking Names and their Referents
> *
> For this line, "These attributes are designed to support two different
> ways of associating a name, of any kind, with its referent, and with
> its canonical form.", there seems to be no explanation of what these
> two ways are (and the introduction of 3 attributes previous to this
> might suggest that there are three ways instead of two.

The rest of this section discusses this. There are 2 different ways of
linking name and referent, and one way of linking name and canonical
form, hence 3 attributes. I tinkered with the sentence a little to see
if I could make it a bit clearer.

> *13.2.1 Personal Names
> *
> Middle names and names containing references to a city/town/village of
> origin would seem to me to call for their own tags given their
> frequency. Are there are plans for this?

Not currently, but you can certainly propose such additions.

> *13.2.3 Place Names
> *
> Since, as indicated by footnote 40, it seems "figurative" may be
> implied by use of <rs>, how about adding that to the definition of
> <rs>? Otherwise, it is not immediately clear how <rs> may differ from
> <name>.
The distinction between rs and name is discussed in the core chapter.
I'm not sure that either this example or the footnote is really helpful
or utterly reliable... an <rs> is not necessarily figurative.

> *13.2.3.1 Geo-political Place Names
> *
> For <bloc>'s definition (not in source), how about adding a hyphen
> within "nation state"?

Wikipedia doesnt use one.
> *13.2.3.2 Geographic Names
> *
> 1) Is there a specific place in the head for the policy on name tag
> choices (e.g., geogName over placeName)?
I assume by "head" here you mean "header" -- and no, there isn't. Is the
distinction between <geogName> and <placeName> not adequately defined?
it's rarely a policy decision which to use I would have thought!

> 2) Add a comma to the definition for <geogFeat> (not in source), after
> "mount" and before "etc.".

OK

> 3) Are there special tags for things like a famous residence/mansion?

These would be types of placeName, I suggest, since they are geo-political.

> 4) Both in this line, "The most efficient way of including this
> information in the above encoding would be to create a separate
> <gi>nym</gi> element for this component of the name and then point to
> it using the <att>nymRef</att> attribute, as further discussed in <ptr
> target="#NDNYM"/>." and in the Nym section to which it points, there
> is no indication as to where <nym> should be placed...

A <nym> can only appear within a <listNym> (or another <nym>), as the
specification states. It is exactly analogous to <person> and <place>.

> *13.3.1 Basic Principles*
>
> 1) For the line, "Characteristics</soCalled> or
> <soCalled>traits</soCalled> are typically independent of an
> individual's volition or action and can be either physical, such as
> sex or hair and eye colour, or cultural, such as ethnicity, caste, or
> faith." I really disagree with including "faith" as something which is
> independent of an individual's volition or action.
But many people are born into a faith, are they not? they cannot be said
to choose that any more than they choose their parents? Of course they
may go on to choose a different faith, but even when they do, they will
often say they are an "ex-muslim" or "ex-jew" or whatever.
> While people do often imitate their parents and treat faith (or lack
> of it) as a matter of inheritance, it makes little sense as such
> (granted, in some cases, for historical reasons, it has become
> associated with race, but there is always a means of distinction). If
> the description stayed with the idea that these features tend not to
> change very much over time (like political party affiliation or lack
> of affiliation or the <affilitation> element which is a "state"), I
> think this would be fairly reasonable, though it may be just as
> changeable as a place of residence or occupation.

We will probably have to agree to disagree on this one!

> 2) Also, the definition of <state> (not in source), says that it
> refers to some "ongoing status or quality", which would seem to
> contradict the sense that it is more of a less-fixed quality than
> <trait>, for example; should it be changed to "potentially alterable
> status or quality"?. And for the definition of <trait>, did you want
> to indicate in the definition that it was "relatively fixed" as well
> as "culturally-determined"?

I've tried to improve the descriptions for both state and trait to make
clearer that the fundamental distinction between them is to do with
changeability

> *13.3.2.2 Personal States*
>
> 1) Again on some of the "changeable" characteristics, I find it
> inconsistent that <education> is a state, but <langKnown> is a
> characteristic.

Yes, I see that this does look a bit odd, and maybe langKnowledge is a
boundary case. But education is definitely a state, surely?

> 2) The example beginning, "<person xml:id="simon_son_of_richard2">"
> seems it ought to have an introduction before it...

OK, added a sentence

> *13.3.2.3 Personal Events
> *
> "It [event] is used to describe any event in the life of an
> individual.". Since the definition at
> http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/P5/Guidelines-web/en/html/ref-event.html
> mentions it can also refer to an organization, might this be amended
> to say "individual or individuals"?

OK, yes.

> *13.3.2.4 Personal Relationships*
>
> 1) Can <relation/> elements be placed in their own dedicated document?
yes, since they are linked to by pointer and a TEI pointer can now go
across documents. However, I think we need a lot more description about
where these elements are best placed.

> 2) Also, might this section mention where <relationGrp> and <relation>
> can be placed? While this kind of information could be found in the
> manual, DTD, etc., I think it helps to have an anchor to know where
> these items are going.
Yes, I agree. In most of the examples, they are included along with one
or other of the things being related, but I am not sure that this will
always be the best solution. Some more thought is needed on this topic.

> 3) Might also some mention be made here of ontologies (since this
> section's topic seems to impinge on the issue)? (I think it might also
> be nice to allow <relation> for any item, concept, dates, etc...)

We were hoping to keep this chapter comparatively modest in scope...
> *13.3.4.1 Varieties of Location*
>
> The definition of <geo> at
> http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/P5/Guidelines-web/en/html/ref-geo.html
> states, "If no such element is supplied, the assumption is that the
> content of each geo element will be a pair of numbers to be
> interpreted as latitude followed by longitude according to the World
> Geodetic System." Especially since no example is provided there, maybe
> the end could be emended to state "interpreted as latitude, followed
> by whitespace and then longitude"? And perhaps also mention could be
> made of the intervening whitespace for the line which is in the
> chapter, "The default recommended by these Guidelines is to supply a
> string containing two real numbers which indicate latitude and
> longitude according to the 1984 World Geodetic System (WGS84)"?

OK, have added reference to white space in both places and an example in
the tagdoc. There is an example in the text, btw.

> *13.3.5 Names and Nyms*
>
> For the examples with a @nymRef leading to a <nym> with a <form> (in
> this case "Antony" for "Tony"), I think it might be helpful to
> indicate whether this construct implies that the individual in
> question actually had this name (as on a birth certificate) or not,
> and if not, a reminder of where that information should be placed.

No, the <nym> has *nothing* to do with any individual who happens to use
one of its forms. That information would be implicit by the <persName>
attached to the <person>. I've added a sentence to try to make that clearer.

> *13.3.6.3 More Expressive Normalizations*
>
> Might you add a footnote to
> http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail?csnumber=40874 for the
> reference to the ISO "Data elements and interchange formats –
> Information interchange – Representation of dates and times" standard?

Well, it is not our general policy when citing ISO or other standards to
point to places you can buy them from. But I agree there should probably
be a better bibliographic reference for this as for the other ISO
standards cited in the text.