[tei-council] Roma sanity checker and customization templates

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Mon Jan 21 12:11:28 EST 2008

While doing some more testing on the new Roma server, I noticed that
most (if not all) of the supplied customization templates produce
various warnings when one clicks on the "Sanity Checker" button.
For example, TEI Lite produces four Warnings and three indications of
nonexistent elements. E.g.

  Warning: _rendition_ is not reachable from root

which I assume has to do with the fact that @rendition is still in
att.global in the TEI Lite template, but <tagsDecl> is deleted so that
there's no place to put a <rendition> element for @rendition to point
to.

So this raises a couple of questions about the integration of Sanity
Checker into Roma:

* Do we need to tweak the custom templates so they don't produce
Sanity Checker warnings?

* If not, where and how should we provide some explanation for end users
to help them distinguish between serious warnings and informational
warnings that can be ignored in practice?

With the status quo, a user might think we're supplying a bunch of buggy
templates. Can we get Ioan or one of his co-developers to supply us with
a big of explanatory language on the meanings of the diagnostics
produced by the Sanity Checker?

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA