[tei-council] Chapter 1

Dan O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Mon Jan 7 13:29:52 EST 2008

Lou's convinced me on everything below except the standards business:
can one not have international standards that are not ISO? What about,
for example, doping standards in international athletics, or judging
standards in figure skating. Neither are good standards in that they are
both problematically implemented, but they are international, do strive
for standard status, and are not ISO.

On Sat, 2008-05-01 at 20:22 +0000, Lou's Laptop wrote:
> Brett Zamir wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This first chapter raised a number of more questions for me than some
> > of the others, though, as usual, many are more such stylistic
> > suggestions. Some suggestions might occasionally seem redundant, but I
> > think good communicative systems have some inherent redundancy,
> > especially for dim-wits--I mean slow learners--like me.
> >
> > *General issues:
> > *
> > 1) Shouldn't specific chapters be prefixed with "Chapter" capitalized
> > (and same with "Section" too)?
> >
> This could be generated by stylesheet if there was a general feeling it
> should be, obviously. But no-one has suggested it till now. Some of the
> titles are quite long...
>
> > 2) From my limited perspective, customization, unless absolutely
> > necessary, seems to be something to be avoided rather than encouraged.
> This is a fundamental point about the TEI. You cannot use the TEI scheme
> without "customizing" in some sense -- you have to select which modules
> you want.
>
> > HTML had been fractured between only a couple of browsers and it was
> > frustrating enough. While there may not be TEI processors besides Roma
> > yet, I imagine that tools will eventually develop to allow browsing
> > and searching of such documents in specifically focused, user-friendly
> > ways, given the great potential of such semantically rich documents as
> > TEI and the increasing popularity of XQuery, etc. I think it is great
> > that TEI is modular, but, in my humble estimation, I think the
> > documentation ought to (emphatically) highlight the disadvantages of
> > customizing, for those who might ever wish to share their documents
> > beyond their own internal use.
> >
> You'll have to tell us what you consider those disadvantages to be, I'm
> afraid!
>

> > *The TEI Infrastructure - **Specific Issues*
> >
> > 1.2 - Defining a TEI Schema
> >
> > 1) "The method...recommended by these Guidelines is to provide
> > explicitly or by reference a TEI schema specification against which
> > the document may be validated."  What is the means recommended here in
> > saying "by reference"? Just by referring to a URL where the
> > specification is kept? Is there a standard element for doing this
> > (when not actually including the schema documentation elements)?
>
> Maybe the phrase "by reference" is a bit misleading. All it means is
> that there has to be some way of associating a document instance with
> its schema. You can do that in a number of different ways, of course,
> (as discussed elsewhere) but one way is actually to provide the schema
> and the instance together in the same document -- or to provide some
> kind of reference for the schema. There is no standard element or
> attribute for doing that in TEI -- (unless you are using XSD of course)
> >
> > 2) "*A TEI-conformant schema* is a specific combination of TEI
> [...]
Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative <http://www.tei-c.org/>
Director, Digital Medievalist Project <http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/>
Associate Professor and Chair of English
University of Lethbridge
Lethbridge AB T1K 3M4
Vox: +1 403 329 2378
Fax: +1 403 382-7191