[tei-council] Chapter 1

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 5 17:07:40 EST 2008

If document A has 26 elements from the TEI as a whole, and document B
uses 426 elements which are a superset of the document As, then the
same processors can deal with both.  Both documents are "TEI".
Their creators can usefully define very different schemas for their
daily working practices, but both conform to a mega TEI schema.

What I am getting is that Brett's deprecation of customization
seems to me a misunderstanding; a customization is nearly
always no more than a _subset_ of the TEI, and as such is simply
a declaration of usage by the creator, not a declaration of
independence.