[tei-council] Looking ahead

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Sat Nov 17 07:26:44 EST 2007

> ... simply proposing a SIG on ODD^3 for those who want some fun in
> their spare time.

Personally, I think even this is dangerous. Many of us (you and me
perhaps most egregiously) find designing meta-meta-languages much
more interesting than our day jobs.

> though I may say that getting TEI adopted as the markup of choice
> for standards could be classified as outreach.

Perhaps, but it would be a bad idea to use outreach as an excuse to
dive into major technical endeavors. Heck, getting TEI adopted by the
United Nations General Assembly could be classified as outreach, too,
but it doesn't mean we should spend lots of effort developing a
module on international legalese right now.

> which would be backward compatible, right?

It's not just backward compatible, it's already a poorly documented
part of the P5 schemas. That is, the schema and prose permit that
construct, but the documentation doesn't explicitly say what it
means:

   An attribute list can be organized either as a group of attribute
   definitions, all of which are understood to be available, or as a
   choice of attribute definitions, of which only one is understood
   to be available. An attribute list may also contain nested
   attribute lists.