[tei-council] Schematron in Guidelines source?

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Thu Nov 15 16:39:13 EST 2007

I was just experimenting with using some embedded Schematron in an ODD
file and noticed that in the Guidelines P5 source there is embedded
Schematron in a handful of places (namely, the files addSpan.xml,
damageSpan.xml, delSpan.xml, and moduleRef.xml). For example, in
addSpan.xml:

    <s:pattern name="spanTo_required">
      <s:rule context="tei:addSpan">
        <s:assert test="@spanTo">The spanTo= attribute of <s:name/> is required.</s:assert>
      </s:rule>
    </s:pattern>

I have two questions about this:

1) Is there a reason why there are so few Schematron constraints in the Guidelines?
Are they considered to have official status, or are they more or less experimental?

2) Unless I'm wrong, there needs to be an element

  <s:ns uri="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0" prefix="tei"/>

there in order for Schematron validation to work. (In trying to associate a
TEI Relax NG schema in oXygen as a Schematron schema so that the embedded rules
will be applied, I get the error "Namespace prefix tei has not been declared";
adding the <ns> elements manually to the Relax NG schema fixes this, and checking
of @spanTo works as expected.) Is this worth fixing?

DS

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA