[tei-council] pdf version of P5

Peter Boot pboot at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 11 16:55:47 EST 2007

This looks very good. I have nothing that addresses your specific
questions, I'm afraid, just a few remarks:

1. there does not seem to be a 'printed' table of contents. For pdf use
there is no actual need for it, as there we have the pdf 'bookmarks'.
But if the pdf bookmarks will be the main navigation facility, I would
like seeing there the chapter and section numbers.

2. the front matter, such as the Gentle Introduction and the Languages
and Character Sets chapter, has roman numerals on the web site. That
makes their 'front' status clear. In the pdf Guidelines they are
unnumbered, which makes you wonder why after what seem to be the first
few chapters we should suddenly have a chapter 1. Their running title
gives you no indication of where you are in the book. It might be
helpful to have a running title that says 'Preliminary material. v. A
Gentle Intro...' (cf. the appendices). I'd also like to see these
numbers in the pdf bookmarks. Their sections could also be numbered, as
in the html version.

3. The bookmarks give no indication that the appendices are appendices.

4. Hyperlinks to a section now typically jump to a location just below
the section title, which I find disorienting. Would it be possible to
jump to just before the title?

5. It was recently mentioned on TEI-L that it would be useful to have a
list of all attributes. Is it too late to add a list, or just an index
on the attribute names as they occur in appendices B and C? I'm sure I
would use that a lot.

6. Would it be possible to hyperlink the element names in the text to
appendix C?

Peter