[tei-council] extraordinary rendition

Christian Wittern cwittern at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 18:37:35 EDT 2007

On 27/10/2007, Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>     <rendition xml:id="small" scheme="css">font-size: small;</rendition>
>
> do we say that this should contain one property/value and one
> property/value only?

I would rather think you put there as many rules as are needed to
represent the feature in question, which might as well be several
property/value pairs.

> in which case, is the ";" necessary? should I not be supplying that myself
> in my XSL? it would make the stuff easier to implement in other languages,
> possibly.

Me thinks you should put in a complete syntactic construct, not just a fragment.

> Secondly, I hope we realize that the effect
> is sometimes to generate rather horrible HTML?
> ie with inline @style attribute.
> this _is_what is intended? I say this because I
> cannot always generate a <style>
> component at the top of the file to reference, because the
> @rendition may point to a remote file, which
> may not yield me a useful identifier.

I guess that is up to the application and outside the scope of our
work.  I think you could also generate a separate css stylesheet from
the @rendition stuff and link it to your individual files, no?

Christian

--
Christian Wittern, Kyoto