[tei-council] listXXXs and relations

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 9 08:23:07 EDT 2007

Council will I hope recall the plan to give all listXXXX elements common
content models. I have now implemented the last part of this, which has
necessitated a slightly suboptimal hack in order to make <listPerson>
consistent with the rest. The element <particLinks> which used to exist
as a special treat within <particDesc> and consequently had been
proposed as an extra within <listPerson> had two functions: it provided
an informal description of relationships ("all these people are known to
be from the Ciulla clan") and it acted as a wrapper for <relation>
elements. As the tense of the previous sentence implies, I have now
replaced it by a more general element called <relationGrp> which acts in
the same way, and which I have now added as an alternative to <relation>
in all the listXXX elements. The suboptimal part of this is that I have
introduced it as an alternative to rather than a replacement for
ungrouped <relation> elements. This seemed a safer course, though I am
open to persuasion otherwise.