[tei-council] listXXXs and relations

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Tue Oct 9 08:57:07 EDT 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:
> Council will I hope recall the plan to give all listXXXX elements common
> content models. I have now implemented the last part of this, which has
> necessitated a slightly suboptimal hack in order to make <listPerson>
> consistent with the rest. The element <particLinks> which used to exist
> as a special treat within <particDesc> and consequently had been
> proposed as an extra within <listPerson> had two functions: it provided
> an informal description of relationships ("all these people are known to
> be from the Ciulla clan") and it acted as a wrapper for <relation>
> elements. As the tense of the previous sentence implies, I have now
> replaced it by a more general element called <relationGrp> which acts in
> the same way, and which I have now added as an alternative to <relation>
> in all the listXXX elements.

I still see <particLinks> insteda of <relationGrp>, but I think I
understand what you have done and will be able to see it shortly I assume.

The suboptimal part of this is that I have
> introduced it as an alternative to rather than a replacement for
> ungrouped <relation> elements. This seemed a safer course, though I am
> open to persuasion otherwise.

This may be suboptimal, but a better solution for now. Indeed you don't
want to be forced to include a <relationGrp> for simple cases.

I think that once people discover <relation> they will use for all sort
of things...so unless I'm wrong, the request on TEI L to relate two
<listPerson> is just the beginning...

Arianna