[tei-council] some formatting thoughts -- reference documentation

Christian Wittern cwittern at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 18:51:32 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Syd Bauman wrote:
>
>> there is no reason whatsoever to arbitrarily not
>> provide useful information if it happens not to be available until,
>> say, December.
>>

> I suggest that when release 1.0 is done, you can start work
> on a 1.1 branch, which includes changes to guidelines.xsl which
> makes the HTML, and make it available under its own terms.

This looks like a better plan to me.

>> Again, formatting is pretty disjoint from content.
>>
> I agree, it is not the same thing. But, to me, its part of the
> package.
>
>> .... making changes to the formatting does not
>> have untoward effects on users.
>>

> Agreed; so this is not covered by the Birnbaum Accord,
> and its open for the Council (or possibly Board) to  play
> it how they like. I'm interested to hear whether others
> have a view on this?

Well, I do not agree to the above statement.  I think the user
experience depends very much on how the material is presented and small
changes can be quite confusing to users.  So I would take the view that
we stop tinkering with the 1.0 branch and do only bug fixes there.  But
I guess the development model following 1.0 is something we should
schedule for discussion *after* Nov 01.

Christian

--

 Christian Wittern