[tei-council] handy

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 27 15:34:06 EDT 2007

Arianna Ciula wrote:

> Lou Burnard wrote:
>> What I've done therefore is make <handNote> into a kind of "core"
>> element, which can be used in either of these two container elements.
>> It is declared in the header module, but it's completely
>> inaccessible/invisible unless you also load one or other of the PH or
>> MS modules. Whichever you load then brings in the appropriate
>> container element for you. And since you only ever access a
>> <handNote> by means of its xml:id value it matters not a jot which
>> container you get it from.
>
> I see, but then if you load both, do we recommend where is it better
> to define the hands? within the manuscript description or within the
> profile description?

I think this depends what your goals are. If you only want to list the
hands so that you can use the @hand attribute (or the @new) attribute in
PH, then you will be using a <handNotes> element in profile desc. If you
are primarily doing a full blown ms description/cataloguing  job, then
you will want to use the <handDesc> in msdesc. It's not impossible that
you might want to combine a lightweight <msDesc>  with a very detailed
set of <handNotes> (if you are doing research into handwriting for
example) so having two places isn't as strange as at first it appears.
And I do think that saying "tough, you just have to do a full msDesc,
even if you're only interested in the hands" is not the right answer.