[tei-council] handy

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Thu Sep 27 16:00:15 EDT 2007

> Tho similar, the wrapper elements are not identical.

Right. The differences are:
1. <handDesc> has a hands= attr, <handNotes> does not
2. <handDesc> permits model.pLike+ as an alternative to handNote+
3. they are declared by different modules

1.
--
I can't see that there is any strong reason to forbid people from
representing the number of distinct hands identified within the

However, if either of those is the case, there are pretty easy
work-arounds:
* if hands= should not be a descendant of <profileDesc>: a Schematron
  rule could catch this easily
* if hands= should not be used in the absence of MS: put hands= in an
  attribute class defined by MS

2.
--
> > Is it really inappropriate to use <p> inside the wrapper when a
> > child of <profileDesc>?
> Yes, totally.

Oh. I might have thought it was not very helpful to do so, but I'm
hard pressed to think it is inappropriate. But if you think so, as I
said, a Schematron rule could catch it.

3.
--
> You can't combine the two elements without deciding which module to
> put them in, and they are needed by both. You could put a single
> grouping element in the header and remove it from both modules, and
> i considered that for a while, before deciding that that would just
> annoy both sets of potential users.

Ah. I had thought you already had done that (put both into header).
Why do you think either set of users would find that annoying? They
aren't going to be generating schemas without the header module, so
they'll never find this element missing. In both cases detailed
discussion of the element's use can occur in the more appropriate
chapter, even if there must be some cursory discussion in the header
chapter.

Is this weird, or what? Lou as the splitter, Syd as the lumper? :-)