[tei-council] Further update on PH

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 18 14:25:32 EDT 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:

> How about "tlx tly brx bry" (top left x, bottom right y)?
that's, with respect, the worst choice. things like urx are familiar from
other applications, but inventing new gibberish acronyms is madness...

> but i am still not persuaded that these things should be separate
> attributes anyway. We didnt have this argument when we were specifying
> how to give <geo> map coordinate values. Why are we having it now?
* because 4 numbers is more than 2
* because geo can be in various forms, and datatyping is harder
* because the geo numbers are generally passed as is; as Conal's code shows,
   these 4 numbers will be very commonly used in calculations, individually

what's the argument in *favour* of XML abuse, storing multiple values in
one attribute?
readability and writeability don't enter into it, really.