[tei-council] new formatting of web version of Guidelines

Dan O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Fri Sep 14 17:21:37 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-14-09 at 14:51 -0400, Syd Bauman wrote:
> > My main problem with them at the moment is that I find it really
> > hard to get my mind around the front matter being listed in the
> > right hand column "after" (in for a reader used to left-to-right
> > columns) the main text.
>
> I have some sympathy for this concern. Not convinced either way, yet.
>

> > I see that the button for switching schema is much clearer. Is it
> > possible perhaps to have the name of the schema we are looking at
> > appear as well? Maybe an h3 or something in the style sheet would
> > do it.
>
> Someday it would be The Right Thing to do to be able to display the
> XSD and DTD as well. (That is, at least, what we agreed to do at the
> 2002 Council meeting, IIRC.) So at some point there would be a row of
> 4 buttons, one of which was "pressed". In the meantime, though,
> you're right, it might be useful to say.
>
> However, I'm concerned that the granularity is too fine. The reader
> should be able to change the default for all declarations, rather
> than having to click on each individually. Is that possible now? If
> not, James & Sebastian, is it something that could be done in time?
>

> > I find at the moment the section by section directories difficult
> > to get used to, but that's probably because they are still novel to
> > me.
>
> +1
>

> > Really a superb-looking site.
>
> Agreed. Kudos to Dot, James, Sebastian, and all the other Oxfordites
> who have contributed.
>
> The things that most urgently need work, IMHO, are the "Children"
> section of the tagdocs, and the sectioning of the Macros and Classes
> appendices.
>

> Speaking of which, as there have been 2 "agrees" and no dissension,
> I've changed the name of Appendix C to "Datatypes and Other Macros".

Post facto, I agree that it should change: it is more accurate anyway.

Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative <http://www.tei-c.org/>
Director, Digital Medievalist Project <http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/>
Associate Professor and Chair of English
University of Lethbridge
Lethbridge AB T1K 3M4
Vox: +1 403 329 2378
Fax: +1 403 382-7191