[tei-council] reference to chapters sections on Specs

Lou's Laptop lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 12 13:13:59 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Arianna Ciula wrote:
>> see http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/P5/Guidelines-web/en/html/ref-geo.html
>>
>> where after the description you don't have a link to the section in
>> the chapter
>>
>> and compare with
>> http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/P5/Guidelines-web/en/html/ref-ab.html
>> where you do have a link to the section just after the description.
>>
> oh, I see. Thats the existence of eg
>
> <listRef>
>    <ptr target="#SASE"/>
>  </listRef>
>
> or not in the source. Nothing to do with rendering.
>
> Bear  this in mind when you see the new rendering (can we
> release it today, James?), and see what you think. We may
> persuade editors that those listRefs are mostly redundant.

I don't think they are at all redundant, and this example shows clearly
why not.
If there is no <listRef> in the tagdoc, you will get in the breadcrumb
trail or toc or whatever it is a link to the place where this element is
*declared*. If there is a <listRef> you will get the place where it is
*described*. The latter is generally a lot more useful -- especially if
we do decide to lump all the declarations together.  The declaration
(i.e. the point in the doc where the element's <elementSpec> is
embedded) will usually be shared by lots of unrelated elements; the
description (i.e. the point in the doc where the element's <specDesc> ,
associated prose, examples etc. appear) will usually not.

While I'm looking at it: sorry, but I hate that list of child element
names with module names. If there are more than a few it is visually
incomprehensible