[tei-council] [Fwd: Re: damage - what is it good for?]

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 3 12:11:13 EDT 2007

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: damage - what is it good for?
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 17:07:35 +0100
From: Gabriel Bodard <gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk>
To: Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk>
CC: TEI Council <tei-council at lists.village.virginia.edu>

We've never used <damage>, I don't think. (Although there was at some
time talk of using it to link a <supplied> and <gap> that are really
part of the same bit of damage. I didn't really see the point, since the
whole problem with linking such things was that they might cross div or
word structures. And now it appears that would have been abuse anyway.)
As you describe it, however, it is the sort of thing that an epigrapher
*would* want to record--deliberate or other damage to the surface of the
stone not affecting our ability to read the text. (For deliberate I
guess we use <del>.)

What *would* certainly be useful, however, is some way to indicate
precisely what you describe: separate bits of damage (whether indicated
result of the same gouge out of the front of the stone, for example.
Traditionally both epigraphers and papyrologists indicate that a gap and
a supplied are part of the same damage by enclosing the two in a single
set of square brackets. E.g.:

[abc ...]

(we can restore "abc" but not the rest of whatever was in that bit of
damage... as opposed to:

[abc] [...]

= "abc" was lost because of (e.g.) surface wear, something else was lost
because of (e.g.) the stone being cut down for re-use, and can't be
restored)

So in summary I've never used <damage>, and the only time I'd be likely
to want to could arguably be handled by <unclear>--but unclear for us
has the very specific meaning that the letters so marked would not be
unambiguous outside of their context. Therefore I'd vote for keeping it,
but not scream and shout if I'm out-voted. :)

Best,

Gabby

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD