[tei-council] Mode attribute for <classes>

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 3 08:55:47 EDT 2007

With immense apologies to Laurent, who said
>  I would thus suggest to add a mode attribute both for <classes> and
> <memberOf>, with the following meaning:
> - <classes mode="change"> means look inside at he mode attributes of
> the embedded <memberOf> (see below).
> - <classes mode="delete"> means all <memberOf> declarations have to be
> removed from the existing element specification
> - <classes mode="add"> means all <memberOf> declarations should be
> added to the existing element specification
>
> - <memberOf mode="add"> means the relation should be added to the
> existing element specification
> - <memberOf mode="delete"> means the relation should be deleted from
> the existing element specification

this has now been implemented, with the exception of <classes
mode="delete">;
and instead of <classes mode="add"> being supported, <classes
mode="replace">
is instead.

so <classes> allows "replace" and "change", <memberOf> allows "add and
delete".

The intermediate scheme which I implemented, of @mode on just <memberOf>,
caused Roma, and existing ODDs, to fall over. This is more powerful,
backward
compatible, and no more abusive than before.