[tei-council] updated facsimile odd

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Sat Aug 11 22:58:21 EDT 2007

I have not been able to keep up with the facsimile thread while away,
but I just inadvertently noticed an item that I think deserves
mentioning. Apologies if this has already been discussed further but
I've missed something.

> At the very least I think that the documentation for
> data.outputMeasurement ... where it says that they are for
> "specifying the size of an object that is intended for display on
> the web", it should probably make it clear at that point that the
> size specified is the desired size of the display, not the size of
> the object itself. Currently, the sentence is ambiguous on that
> point.

Not that I really understand what the poster means by the terms
"object" and "display" here -- I could read more of the tread or
guess, but it doesn't really matter. It seems to me the documentation
for data.outputMeasurement should remain as neutral as possible about
*what* is being measured. That is a matter for the semantics of the
attribute which is declared to be of type data.outputMeasurement.

(Yes, I realize that the semantics of some of these units,
particularly "%", have to do with the relationship between an object
and the region in which it is situated, but that still seems to me to
be part of the semantics of the attribute, not the datatype.)