[tei-council] updated facsimile odd

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Thu Aug 9 11:06:28 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 10:17 +0900, Christian Wittern wrote:

> > I think myself subject to clarification that we should be calling a
> > spade a spade here: everything in the ODD and its description suggests
> > to me that we are counting pixels. If we were doing anything else surely
> > we'd need some kind of translation table and discussion of how real
> > world measurements get converted to locations on the image?
> >
> Let's assume you have a page of 297x210mm, which is covered by the
> surface element, which gives you also a grid of 0 0 100 100 to work
> from.  The grid is more like the one you have on maps, which simple go
> from A, B, C, D,... and 1, 2, 3, 4, ... which allows you to say that
> something you are interested in is in C1, without any need to worry
> about the scale of the map.  In the same way, you could say there is a
> spot of spilled ink at 20 20 40 40.  If and only if you want to know the
> size of this spot, then you will need to look up the dimensions and
> calculate the scale factor.

O.K. Conal also talks about them not "necessarily" being pixels. So do
users need to define the outer limits of the box? How do I know what the
coordinates of the far right, and bottom left and bottom right corners
of the box are so that I can identify where 21 33 75 92 is?

I'm sure you are explaining the obvious to me, but at least we are
making progress on this, I think--see Lou's comment on the paragraph for
inclusion in the guide.

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Department Chair and Associate Professor of English

Department of English
University of Lethbridge
Lethbridge AB T1K 3M4
Vox +1 403 329-2377