[tei-council] updated facsimile odd

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 9 04:37:59 EDT 2007

Christian Wittern wrote:

>> Is there a negative too many in that sentence, or are you suggesting
>> we *should* include the dimensions of the original somewhere? and if
>> so, how?
>>
> Yes, lets have dimensions.  As to the details, well... If we have a
> serious of page-scans of the same size, it would surely be enough to
> have one <dimension> child on <facsimile>.  Otherwise, if we have
> <surface> elements to provide for multiple graphics, I'd suggest a
> <dimension> child there as well.

If we have <dimensions> as a child of <facsimile> then it potentially
duplicates or contradicts <dimensions> as a child of <msDescrip>, which
is confusing.

My preference would be for an attribute such as @originalSize on
<surface>. That would at least be explicit. Or @height and @width on on
<surface> . Since <zone> is defined relative to surface  you shouldn't
need it anywhere else.