[tei-council] facsimile draft

Christian Wittern cwittern at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 01:59:28 EDT 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:
> As mentioned in the call, I've been working on trying to produce a
> section about facsimile markup which could be plugged into the current
> chapter on physical transcription, using as many as possible of the
> ideas discussed here by Conal and others over the last few weeks.
>
> Time is running out, and we need to get closure on this, so I hope
> Conal and Dot will excuse me for steaming ahead on this without
> consulting with them privately first. I've used the documents
> circulated and followed (as far as I can) the discussion so far to
> produce a straw-person kind of a draft which is now posted for your
> (particularly their) urgent attention at
> http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/facs.odd

Thanks for getting it this far.  It seems pretty well worked through, at
least as far as I can see by just reading through it.
I wonder if it would be worthwhile to show this to Martin Holmes to see
what he thinks -- if we get ever an implementation of this, he is among
the likely implementers.

> I've deliberately restricted the scope of what this draft makes
> possible to what I hope we can all agree on as a bare minimum of
> functionality. It supports linking from text to image and image to
> text with a minimum of fuss ; it also supports linking between text
> and image fragments, but only provides one way to do it. It tries to
> fit in with existing TEI idiom and practice.
I feel a bit uneasy about @facs doubling as a direct and indirect link
-- are there other cases where we do something similar?

One tiny piece of nit-picking:  in this list, you probably dont want the
word "element" after facsimile?

legal TEI document may thus comprise any of the following:-
<list>
<item>a TEI Header and a text</item>
<item>a TEI Header and a facsimile element</item>
<item>a TEI Header, a facsimile, and a text</item>
</list>

> -- I've also made a wild guess about how to specify the datatype of my
> @box attribute (formerly known as @coords -- I renamed it because it
> is considerably more restricted than the synonymous XHTML attribute)

As Sebastian said, I would use the same type of arrangement for the
coordinates as in HTML, SVG, CSS and who knows what, that is starting
from the upper left corner.

Christian

--

 Christian Wittern