[tei-council] facsimile - low-end markup

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 27 04:28:44 EDT 2007

Conal Tuohy wrote:
> so e.g. you could add a <pb/> before each of these divs:
>
> <pb xml:id="front-face-begin">
> 	<!-- transcription of front face of gravestone -->
> 	<ab coords="220 450 100 105">Kilroy was here</ab>

well, I could, but that seems like tag abuse to me.
<pb> "marks the boundary between one page of a
text and the next". there only *is* one page.

> You would have <surface/> elements corresponding to those <pb/>
> elements, each of which would contain the graphics which are facsimiles
> of that surface, with attributes specifying how the coordinates of those
> graphics map onto the coordinates of the surface,

I'm happy with that sort of structure, but in that case
I could link to anything with has an xml:id, and we don't
need to special case <pb>

> Ah yes I think I see what you mean now about not being tied down to page
> breaks - do you want to get away from attaching a url directly to a page
> break? Or do you want to be able to not use <pb/> elements at all in
> your transcription?

both. I have no <pb> to encode; and I want to attach an image to
a container, not a break point.