[tei-council] facsimile - low-end markup

Conal Tuohy conal.tuohy at vuw.ac.nz
Thu Jul 26 21:10:01 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 22:54 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 09:11:58AM +1200, Conal Tuohy wrote:
> > Sebastian, can you give a quick outline about you encode the multiple "surfaces" of your gravestones?
>
> just multiple <div> elements with @decls to classify them;
> and <ab> elements for the lines of text.

so e.g. you could add a <pb/> before each of these divs:

<pb xml:id="front-face-begin">
	<!-- transcription of front face of gravestone -->
	<ab coords="220 450 100 105">Kilroy was here</ab>

<pb xml:id="back-face-begin"/>
	<!-- transcription of back face of gravestone -->

> > I don't see why you could't delimit them in your transcription with <pb/>
> I could, but it look well odd.

Because pb = page break and gravestones are not really pages?

> And how would I reference
> my multiple photos of each surface?

You would have <surface/> elements corresponding to those <pb/>
elements, each of which would contain the graphics which are facsimiles
of that surface, with attributes specifying how the coordinates of those
graphics map onto the coordinates of the surface, like so:

<surface n="front face" start="#front-face-begin">
	<graphic url="front-rubbing.jpg"
		coords="0 0 1000 1000"
		scale="1"/>
	<graphic url="graffito-rubbing.jpg"
		coords="220 450 100 105"
		scale="1.1"/>
	<graphic url="graffito-photo.jpg"
		coords="220 450 100 105"
		scale="0.5"/>
	<graphic url="corner-detail.jpg"
		coords="0 0 100 100"
		scale="0.1"/>
	<graphic url="full-front-photo.jpg"
		coords="0 0 1000 1000"
		scale="2"/>
</surface>

> > If it's the mismatch of "page breaks" on a gravestone that irks,
> > we would need some mechanism to link pieces of text with their <surface/>.
>
> right. back to the <facsimile>?

Ah yes I think I see what you mean now about not being tied down to page
breaks - do you want to get away from attaching a url directly to a page
break? Or do you want to be able to not use <pb/> elements at all in
your transcription?

Certainly if you want to have multiple graphics per surface then you do
need a <surface/> element in order to be able to align the coordinate
spaces of the different graphics, and if you have <surface/> elements
then you need to put them somewhere, hence the need for a <facsimile/>
element or equivalent.