[tei-council] appInfo

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 9 12:15:18 EDT 2007

I was tasked at Berlin with looking at the <appInfo> request from
Martin Holmes and getting him to agree to the simpler model Council
thought was more appropriate.

After discussion with Martin, I came up with
http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/P5/Test/testappinfo.odd
and its parallel testappinfo.xml. It re-expresses
his stuff in more generic TEI terms (so I claim).

The basic idea is a new child of <encodingDesc>
holding one or more <appInfo> elements. These have
mandatory @ident and @version attributes, plus dating.
Their mimimum child is a <label> providing a human
readable name for the application. Other contents may
be <p> (content whatever you want), or specific <ptr>
elements which identify components of the document
the app has monkeyed with.

The proposed solution diverges somewhat from
the the Council's mandate to "just allow anything
and everything in there", as Martin persuaded me that
the minimum @ident, @version and <label> were
essential. Syd and Lou have both seen this,
and are not raising violent objections.

May I beg the indulgence of this court for
deviating from my mission, and ask those
who wanted the most general model to
see if this proposal satisfies them?