[tei-council] Formatting of the Guidelines

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Jun 22 10:30:50 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I was assuming you were goinng do dump on me :-}

Well, probably, for those bits we can't figure out ourselves.

>> Sorry, I don't buy that.  While it is true that these are free-standing
>> webpages, the reason Guidelines have the the TEI logo in the top right-hand
>> corner , the title in the place where it is, a navbar, a 'Skip Links' link,
>> etc. is to make them fit in with the current website.
> you reckon? not in my book.

Why else does it look practically identical to the rest of the site then?

>>  I don't believe it
>> is in the remit of looking at the formatting of the Guidelines to redesign
>> the super-structure in which it is placed.  Surely the layout of the title,
>> etc., are going to have to change to fit in with whatever Virginia come up
>> with as the new website.
> what about the people who view them locally?

They'll look the same I assume.  Just because they are generated locally
doesn't mean they shouldn't have the same format of logo/title/etc.

>> Surely you can't be suggesting
>> that, users should be presented with an entirely different look and feel to
>> the superstructure of the page than the rest of the TEI site?
>>
> "entirely", no; "different", yes possibly. this sort of material
> is very different from the normal run of the mill stuff on the TEI site.

That is true, I suppose.  I was going to use the W3C as an example, and say
that most of there pages look the same (I was thinking of the Specs.) But
then I randomly went to http://www.w3.org/XML/Query/ (ugh!) and a few other
pages and realised, that no, they do all look fairly different.

> I might well argue that the Guidelines web site should be quite
> distinct from the Consortium, possibly a different server,
> alongside eg Roma.

Wouldn't this be confusing for users?  Why would they become members of
this consortium thing if the Guidelines seem to have nothing to do with it
and are  over there?  There might be practical benefits though.

-James