[tei-council] List of items from Berlin

Dot Porter dporter at uky.edu
Tue Jun 12 16:25:37 EDT 2007

Hello all,

Here is a complete list of errors from the three chapters I checked
for the Berlin meeting. Sorry to take so long to get them to the list,
but most of my original comments have already been dealt with by the
editors.

19: Language Corpora
all recommended changes made

7: Transcription of Speech
7.3: "To enable these modules, the appropriate parameter entities must
be declared in the document type declaration subset, as described in
section 1.2 Defining a TEI schema." Should there be here instead a
reference to specifying modules in the ODD, or just a more general
declaring modules in DTD or schema languages?
7.3.1: I believe that there is an incorrect usage of <del> in the
second example. According to its definition in 3.4.3, "<del>
(deletion) contains a letter, word or passage deleted, marked as
deleted, or otherwise indicated as superfluous or spurious in the copy
text by an author, scribe, annotator, or corrector." But its usage in
the example is described as "This example also uses the core elements
<gap> and <del> to mark editorial decisions concerning matter
completely omitted from the transcript (because of inaudibility), and
words which have been transcribed but which the transcriber considers
may be deleted, respectively." Either the example needs to be changed
to reflect accepted practice or the description needs to be clarified
(what does it mean when a transcriber considers that something may be
deleted? I don't think that makes sense.)
7.3.4: This section includes an example of defining entities to
represent prosodic features. The entire discussion assumes that the
editor is using DTDs. If there is another method for doing the same
thing in ODD/RNG this section should be changed.

OTOH at the end of my notes I say "Chapter needs to be rewritten!" and
I believe we discussed this in Berlin.

10: Linking
10.4.3: Three-way alignment. This section needs to be reexamined in
light of the current work on facsimile/image markup, and I am working
on this currently.

These are all the comments I had left over from Berlin. Everything
else in my notes has been changed.

Thanks,
Dot

--