[tei-council] List of items from Berlin

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Jun 12 17:40:49 EDT 2007

Dot Porter wrote:

> Here is a complete list of errors from the three chapters I checked
> for the Berlin meeting. Sorry to take so long to get them to the list,
> but most of my original comments have already been dealt with by the
> editors.

Thanks Dot!

> 7: Transcription of Speech
> 7.3: "To enable these modules, the appropriate parameter entities must
> be declared in the document type declaration subset, as described in
> section 1.2 Defining a TEI schema." Should there be here instead a
> reference to specifying modules in the ODD, or just a more general
> declaring modules in DTD or schema languages?

All such references should refer to the same place and should be in
approximately the same form;  the one in this chapter seems to have
escaped. But not for long!

> 7.3.1: I believe that there is an incorrect usage of <del> in the
> second example.
This is a rather strange use of <del> I agree, but not I think
completely wrong. The problem is that the transcriber (this is a real
example, by the way, not one I made up!) is interested in the kinds of
segment primarily, and wants to show that for the purpose of
segmentation the repeated words should be deleted. In the original
typescript they do this by transcribing it and then... deleting it (with
overstriking). So that's what I have encoded. I have tried to reword it
a bit to explain what's going on.

> 7.3.4: This section includes an example of defining entities to
> represent prosodic features. The entire discussion assumes that the
> editor is using DTDs. If there is another method for doing the same
> thing in ODD/RNG this section should be changed.

Indeed it should, and has been.

> OTOH at the end of my notes I say "Chapter needs to be rewritten!" and
> I believe we discussed this in Berlin.

Well, certainly the chapter is in need of a spring clean, but I can't
see that happening in the next month, so it's probably not going to get
done for P5.

> 10: Linking
> 10.4.3: Three-way alignment. This section needs to be reexamined in
> light of the current work on facsimile/image markup, and I am working
> on this currently.

I see Conal has just posted a whole mass of things. Hoorah!