[tei-council] What did we decide?

David J Birnbaum djbpitt+tei at pitt.edu
Fri Jun 1 14:18:30 EDT 2007

Dear Lou (cc Council),

Thanks!

 > where does apostrophe mark a plural in English? /It disambiguates
phrases like "the dogs' paws" and "the dog's paws"

/Call me an orthographic or linguistic pedant, but the "s" marks the
plural in "the dogs' paws" and the apostrophe marks the possessive in
both "the dog's paws" and "the dogs' paws". That is, although the
relative place of the apostrophe and the "s" distinguishes the singular
from the plural, it is not the apostrophe, but the "s", that marks the
plural.

 > "Parentheses and other marks of suspension" should omit "other" /Why?
"suspension" is being used in a linguistic sense here

/This isn't the meaning of suspension that occurred to me when I read
it, but I understand now.

 > /"Element foreign" has some "include" notes /Sorry, I dont understand
this comment

There were places (here and elsewhere in my sections) where there were
notes that said something like "Include xxx" (with a title or number or
something in place of the xxx). That seems like a clumsy sort of link;
shouldn't we either actually include the text or word the links as
something like "more information about xxx is available at yyy"?
"Include xxx" sounds like an instruction in a processing environment,
not part of guidelines or documentation.

 > Stray leading backslash in "\list = element list { list.content,
list.attributes }" /Not a stray: RELAXNC needs it
/
Oops. Sorry!

 > do we need separate data.TruthValue?? and data.xTruthValue classes?
Isn't this like specifying language where it has to be European, i.e., a
formal restriction where user error is unlikely? /Not sure I understand
this analogy /

I think what I meant was that we might consider having a single class
that accepts booleans, "unknown", and "inapplicable", and that we don't
have to have a separate boolean-only class because users who want the
more restricted boolean-only option are likely to select "unknown" or
"inapplicable", and don't need to be protect from it by the schema. I
think the point of the analogy was that a project that requires us to
specify the language of some text doesn't usually provided a narrowly
constrained list of languages, and trusts instead that the user does not
need to be protected from picking an inappropriate one, and that one
might take the same attitude toward the two boolean-like classes. I
don't feel strongly about this, but it did seem as if we were using two
classes where one would probably meet our users' needs.

Best,

David
/