[tei-council] the "key" attribute

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Wed May 23 00:08:51 EDT 2007

Another group I'm working on is busy implementing a LOC URL scheme
called SRU: http://refdb.sourceforge.net/sru.html

-dan

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 16:01 +1200, Conal Tuohy wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 23:00 -0400, Syd Bauman wrote:
> > SR>   - change att.naming to remove @key and put in @ref as pointer
> > SR>     instead
> >
> > I am not in favor. I don't mind renaming @key, but I think its
> > functionality has to stay.[1] E.g., the US LOC may have changed
> > recently, but as of a few years ago you could not access an LOC name
> > authority record via a URI.
>
> I think it's still true that you can't "access" an LoC name record via a
> URL, but it's certainly possible to encode a Library of Congress Control
> Number (LCCN) in a URI, in a standard way:
>
> e.g. "info:lccn/n2002153210" is the URI for a certain Syd Bauman.
>
> Disappointingly, on the LoC web page for this record (I won't post a
> more specific URL than http://authorities.loc.gov/ because their rubbish
> URLs don't persist from one moment to the next) the LCCN is nowhere
> presented in the form of an "info" URI. However, I believe that using
> the "info" URI scheme is the recommended practice for URI-encoding of
> LCCN identifiers.
>
> This URI does not have a well-defined resolution mechanism, however, it
> is still a valuable standard, and a useful key for Syd Bauman.

Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Department Chair and Associate Professor of English
Director, Digital Medievalist Project http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative http://www.tei-c.org/

Department of English
University of Lethbridge