[tei-council] the "key" attribute

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 22 05:07:56 EDT 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:
> I'm sorry, it is likely I have not been able to follow the
> conversation well enough from here, but could you define what an
> "object thing" is?

all the things which are members of att.naming
> And every project is going to use the
> non-URI keys differently. So this is not a place where
> interoperability concerns come into play.

ok, fair enough; we could allow both
> I also still think key= of <memberOf>, <moduleRef>, et al. should
> remain a "match the ident=" attribute, but should undergo a name
> change. I'm also still happy to consider leaving its name key=, and
> coming up with a better name for the use for naming elements.

OK, how about we do this:

  - leave @key on <memberOf> etc as is
  - change att.naming to remove @key and put in @ref as pointer instead
  - discuss at places meeting next week whether they need the @key
functionality back,
    and if so ask them to choose a name

Matthew, are you awake? do you have a view on this, as a big proponent
of keys on naming objects?