[tei-council] the "key" attribute

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Mon May 21 22:52:55 EDT 2007

I'm sorry, it is likely I have not been able to follow the
conversation well enough from here, but could you define what an
"object thing" is?

While I actually prefer to add a URI attribute that is probably
mutually exclusive with key= (whether renamed or not) to the naming
elements rather than overload key= with "either a URI or a database
thingy", I think Sebastian's argument does not hold much water ...
asking the qustion "If I'm trying to process this, and I come across
a key=, what should I do?" is a bit silly. If you haven't read the
local documentation on how key= is used, you have to ignore it
whether it's a URI or not. And every project is going to use the
non-URI keys differently. So this is not a place where
interoperability concerns come into play.

But again, I still think it's probably better to separate these
things.

I also still think key= of <memberOf>, <moduleRef>, et al. should
remain a "match the ident=" attribute, but should undergo a name
change. I'm also still happy to consider leaving its name key=, and
coming up with a better name for the use for naming elements.