Fwd: [tei-council] rendition, rend, and style

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 15 15:17:48 EDT 2007

Hi,

I've been away (still am), and have just now been wading through the discussion
on @rend.

My thoughts so far are:

- @rend should only refer to the rendition in the original source

- @rend shouldn't be used to indicate output style (something else trapped in
the xslt should, but I think I basically agree with David on purity of
descriptive markup)

- @rend should be a datatype of one or more data.pointer which the Guidelines
prose states should ideally be pointing to one or more <rendition> elements in
the header of this or another document.  This should help create internal
document consistency.

- I'd be tempted to do @rend="#bigFunnyLooking5" and then have a <ptr/> inside
<rendition xml:id="bigFunnyLooking5"> to point to an external source for
rendition information kept elsewhere. (rather than have
@rend="http://www.example.com/foo/renditions.xml#bigFunnyLooking5" on various
<hi> elements.  John's XIncluding is another solution.

- Importing @html:style is a use of namespaces I've been fearing -- I know
people are going to do it, but I personally prefer to have little or no output
style information in my TEI documents if possible.  But, since people are going
to do it anyway, maybe the Guidelines should mention it.

- Importing @html:class isn't as necessary I think.  In most cases where I would
want to do this the elements already have @tei:type which is more specific in
terms of its semantics. (It applying to the type of that element, rather than a
generalistic class regardless of element.)   I'd catch @tei:type in my xslt and
provide style information there (or load it in from elsewhere), or base it on
structure.

I'm sure I've missed or misunderstood some of the issues, but I've been
ploughing through all the messages while on holiday ;-)

-James