Fwd: [tei-council] rendition, rend, and style

John A. Walsh jawalsh at indiana.edu
Thu May 10 18:05:58 EDT 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 2:59 PM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Switching to rend="#italic" is quite attractive, especially
> as it can refer to a common set of <rendition> elements,
> eg rend="mymasterdocument.xml#italic". This matters,
> cos if I write 3000 small web pages in TEI XML, I don't
> want each one to have a <rendition> section. HOWEVER,
> the overhead of rend="document.xml#italic" over
> rend="italic" is pretty big, with lots of scope for error.

Sebastian, you raise a good point.  My current solution to this
problem is a common set of <rendition> elements that I include in all
my documents using XInclude.
Perhaps this is obvious, but I think that if we go this direction,
rend should clearly provide pionters (plural) rather than a single
pointer, thus allowing rend="#bold #italic" and avoiding inane things
like rend="#bold_italic_underline".

> Using pointers would break every processor of TEI documents,
> but in an understandable way; I could cope with that,
> after swallowing hard, but I fear the Goblin Rebellions
> might seem like a picnic when we announce this.
>
> John, maybe you could lead some discussion on TEI-L?

TEI-L discussion is another good suggestion.  I'll do this.

John