[tei-council] rendition, rend, and style

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 10 14:59:02 EDT 2007

Switching to rend="#italic" is quite attractive, especially
as it can refer to a common set of <rendition> elements,
eg rend="mymasterdocument.xml#italic". This matters,
cos if I write 3000 small web pages in TEI XML, I don't
want each one to have a <rendition> section. HOWEVER,
the overhead of rend="document.xml#italic" over
rend="italic" is pretty big, with lots of scope for error.

Using pointers would break every processor of TEI documents,
but in an understandable way; I could cope with that,
after swallowing hard, but I fear the Goblin Rebellions
might seem like a picnic when we announce this.

John, maybe you could lead some discussion on TEI-L?