[tei-council] rendition, rend, and style

David J Birnbaum djbpitt+tei at pitt.edu
Thu May 10 14:36:45 EDT 2007

Dear John (cc Council),

For what it's worth, my instinct is to support only the pointer. As you
note, it provides greater accuracy and clarity (much harder to have
rendition values of "ital" and "i" with the same semantics in the same
document if you've grouped <rendition> elements in one place), it can do
everything that the inline spec can do and then some, giving a choice
would just complicate processing and reduce interoperability, and if
we're going to break existing practice, P5 is the time to do it.

Best,

David