[tei-council] rendition, rend, and style

David J Birnbaum djbpitt+tei at pitt.edu
Thu May 10 13:39:54 EDT 2007

Dear Arianna (cc Lou, Council),

I agree completely that we may need to tag information according to
interpretive categories, but since @rend is supposed to be about
rendering and interpretive categories are not essentially about
rendering (although we may, of course, ultimately render different
interpretive categories differently in certain views of our data), I
don't think @rend is the right attribute semantically. To press
something intended to indicate rendering into service as an indicator of
interpretive categories that are not essentially about rendering
suggests tag abuse. If we don't already have a way to flag interpretive
categories, I'd certainly support implementing one. It's a very
important need; my only objection is that @rend is the wrong way to
address it.

Cheers,

David