[tei-council] formatting of guidelines - schema fragments

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Apr 12 06:19:39 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I know we have a work task on this, but that
> may not address a fundamental issue I have.

Probably not, so we'd appreciate hearing of any other issues you have.

> When reading one of my allocated chapters,
> I was struck by the inclusion of schema fragments
> in the section with the formal definition
> of elements. What is the point of them, I wondered?
> The technical details are available in the
> alphabetical list of elements etc (the "second
> volume", if you like), for those who can read
> this stuff, so why repeat it here?

I assume so that readers don't have to go elsewhere to find out the
nitty-gritty of the elements they have been reading about. Might it be
better to move these all to the end of the chapter? i.e. each chapter has
section at the end for all the formal declarations?

> More importantly,
> the code shown is simply one interpretation
> of the ODD (ie it divides each element into
> two patterns, foo.content and foo.attributes),
> which is not normative.
>
> Has this bothered anyone else?

No, I hadn't even considered it. (tbh)  However, I do see that it is a bit
strange that we are saying ODD is the way and then showing one particular
interpretation of that ODD as Relax NG Compact Syntax throughout the
guidelines.

-James