[tei-council] conformance draft

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Apr 3 05:00:14 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Syd Bauman wrote:
>> Right. If you wanna use a DTD, the only one you get to use is either
>> a) the one generated from your ODD via roma, or
>> b) one you create from the Relax NG schema you stitched together, if
>>    we go that route.
>>
> pretty radical. no DTD modules to be created at all any more?
>
> I had the impression on TEI-L that the "DTD bad, schema good"
> war is not proceeding very well.
>
> I'd wager that at least 1/3 of the Council members
> use DTDs for their day to day work with the TEI...
> (including you, Syd?)

I don't see that this matters?  Surely these days those DTDs are generated
from ODD via Roma?  I haven't used a DTD for absolutely ages which wasn't
generated from Roma.  Since Syd above in point a) says that DTDs generated
from roma are OK, then I don't see this as part of the "DTD bad, Schema
good" debate.  People are still free to use DTDs, they just have to be
generated from Roma.

>> Furthermore, if you wanna use a DTD we should make it very clear and
>> abundantly explicit that you are not getting a lot of the validation
>> that you would get if you were using Relax NG.
> that's a separate matter (though I agree)

Agreed (though not in Conformance, but Modification section).

-James