[tei-council] Conformance draft: namespace purity

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Apr 2 16:27:33 EDT 2007

While I think that Namespace Purity should be a requirement for any form of
Interchange Format, I'm am not yet unconvinced that it should not be a
requirement for Conformance as well.  I.e. if we are going to do namespaces, we
owe it to our users and place as a standard to do so properly.  I do agree that
including more discussion on the benefits of namespaces, their relationship to
conformance and schemas, will benefit the Conformance chapter section (since it
is no longer a chapter by itself).  I had not included such because I was not
sure that the council would agree to the principle of TEI Namespace purity.  I
think there should be more discussion, in the Non-Conformant section, on those
schemas which otherwise would be Conformant, but simply lack the namespace
differentiation required by Conformance.  I don't think we should view such
documents as *bad* in any way, simply not Conformant nor in Interchange Format.

i.e., I see Syd's point, but am not convinced that we should back down from
Namespace Purity.

I have not yet done any of the changes or corrections suggested to me (I had
timetabled it for starting at the end of this week), and am happy for Lou to add
any of his changes in the meantime.

-James