[tei-council] SV: Witness proposal

Matthew James Driscoll mjd at hum.ku.dk
Thu Mar 22 05:16:06 EST 2007

In terms of revamping <witness>, which was never a terribly sophisticated
element, this proposal makes perfect sense. It is not clear to me, however,
whether the newly redefined <witness> element is intended as an alternative
to <msDescription> or whether there are situations in which one would use
both. Neither appeals much to me, I must say, especially as I can't see that
what is being proposed can't be done with <msDescription> as it is. The
original idea behind <msDescription>, in any case, was very much that it
should be able to be used for more than just cataloguing (our insistence on
this was what led to the bulk of the disagreements with "TEI-MMSS"), and it
was indeed my understanding that <witList> and <witness> were now to be
deprecated as redundant. If there are things which Gautier, representing
German, Italian and French practice, genuinely can't do using the current
<msDescription> mechanism it would be far more useful, it seems to me, for
us to try and adapt the existing mechanism, rather than coming up with a
parallel one.

Looking at his proposal, the chief lack seems to be a means of indicating
the sigla, for which he proposes a new <sigil> element; these can easily
appear within <msIdentifier> as <altIdentifier>, which takes a type
attribute. Otherwise the elements are largely from the <msDescription>
module, suggesting that perhaps we aren't so far off the mark after all.

Matthew