[tei-council] Witness proposal

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Mar 22 06:29:56 EST 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:
> * re-introduce the "sigil" attribute as a new <sigil> element

I'm still not sure I understand this...I must be missing something.

What is wrong with xml:id values of 'A1', 'a1', 'A2', 'b5' etc?  If you then
want to indicate that the numerical portion is superscript, that seems like
additional information to be included in the <bibl>(or <listBibl>?) or
<msDescription> to which that witness relates (and I assume points).  I've
always thought that msDescription could have a more general role than just
manuscripts.  But I'm happy to receive correction from Gautier on the intention
behind this.

> * add a "class" attribute to <witness>

Ok, based on the translation, it seems to me that this class attribute sort of
does the same thing as @type on altIdentifier?  I.e. this identifier refers to a
copy, this one to an original, this one to a fragment?  (Or is my understanding
abusing altIdentifier/@type ?)

I think I would have an msDescription for each non-printed witness and have the
witList point in turn to each of these.  Most additional material, I feel
shouldn't be in the <witness> at all, but the msDescription.

I guess I'm just still to be convinced, but I'm receptive to more explanation.

-James