[tei-council] conformance draft

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Mar 19 18:19:53 EST 2007

Thanks David, I'm sure you are right about almost all those.

> Section 1.3.1 (under teilite): "It can be a useful starting point for
> those who want to add or remove only a few aspects to TEI Lite." There's
> nothing wrong with this, but because we spent many years telling people
> "don't customize TEI Lite" and feeling exasperated when they didn't
> listen that we might want to add a footnote explaining why it's a new
> world now.

Good point.

> Section 1.3.1 (under tei_svg): "the minimum basic four TEI modules" is
> the first time we mention that there are four basic modules. Should we
> list them here, on first reference, in a footnote?

Or should this have been explained elsewhere, prior to this chapter?  (For
example in Modification which precedes it?

> Throughout: Failure to distinguish restrictive and nonrestrictive
> clauses (use of commas and use of which/that). I'm a pedant about such
> matters; if you don't care, just ignore me and I'll try not to rant.

Yes, Canadians tend to use 'that' for restrictive relative clauses and I've
always been fairly bad about distinguishing them overall.  Thanks for all the
grammatical corrections; I'd assumed that I'd tidy up grammar once people had
agreed to the concepts, but that still should not be an excuse.

-James