[tei-council] egXML

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Jan 23 10:53:12 EST 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I propose that the long description of this be reworded as
> follows:
>

> <remarks><p>The element itself is in
>  the namespace <ident
>  type="ns">http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples</ident>.
>  The TEI Guidelines use the same namespace for the body of the
>  example itself, and they are validated against the TEI scheme by the
>  production process of the TEI. User extensions or other schemas
>  may this use this
>  namespace, or any other, for the content of <gi>egXML</gi>.
>  The content may also be well-formed enclosed in a CDATA marked
>  section. If the content is not well-formed XML, the more general
>

> Does this upset anyone? I have committed it to SF, but it
> can obviously be changed ad lib.

Stylistically I think this is a whole lot worse. Too many "itself"s, and
the referent of "they" is not there. "this use this"????

<remarks> are intended for particular usage remarks, not "long
description". What Conall requested was a rewrite of the <desc> element,
I think.

I will have a hack at it this evening.

> The reason for having <egXML> in the funny namespace is to allow
> us to say
>
> <egXML xmlns="....">
> </egXML>
>
> without having to tinker with the <l> element. It
> makes the cut and paste a lot easier.
>
> This setup was done some years ago, for what seemed like
> good reasons, and it may be that I am just used to it
> despite its madness. It is also implemented, which
> is a non-trivial issue at this point :-}

It seems completely natural to me now...