[tei-council] TEI Conformance

Conal Tuohy Conal.Tuohy at vuw.ac.nz
Wed Nov 22 06:23:41 EST 2006

James Cummings wrote:

> And if people were to add their entirely new
> elements in a different namespace, then it also makes sense for TEI to suggest a
> namespace for this (rather than every user come up with one).

I beg to differ. It seems to me that just because user A and user B having chosen the same name for a new element they have each defined, we are not entitled to assume that the 2 elements are related, which I think would be implied by qualifying them in a generic "TEI Extension" namespace. I think that new elements should always be qualified by namespace URIs belonging to the user defining the elements.

Con