[tei-council] TEI Conformance

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Nov 22 06:16:14 EST 2006

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> James Cummings wrote:
> I think we can afford to have wider discussion on this.
> Let's draft the conformance chapter with this as a suggestion,
> then hawk it round TEI-L for comment and feedback.

I'm happy to draft a chapter, then spread it around the council for comment,
correct and then pass to TEI-L, if the council desires.  (But am happy if
someone else wishes to do this.)

> Another worry:  if I say <foo> is equivalent
> to <div type="foo">, but then make <foo> a member of model.dateLike,
> what does it mean?

When you make foo a member of model.dateLike, then it is an irreversible change,
and should no longer be equiv'ed.  Thus it becomes tei-ext:foo.

> the implication is that if I use <equiv> I must also
> make my content model and class membership equivalent.

Or a pure subset of the existing content model and class membership.  I.e. if
foo is only available in less places or only has a further constrained content
model, then it should be equiv'ed.  If not, it is irreversible, and so not a
renaming but a new element.

> but this is all rules about how to use <equiv>, which is a separate
> topic.

True, but related.

-James