[tei-council] TEI Conformance

Dan O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Tue Nov 21 13:33:40 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-21-11 at 18:16 +0000, James Cummings wrote:

> > I liked the way the first four were stated: good rules and very clear.
>
> They basically come from the existing chapter.
>
> > What about the last two:
>
> I had stated these differently because I didn't want to make them requirements.
>   (Although I don't mind if others believe they should.
> >
> > -A TEI-conformant TEI P5 document must document any new customisations
> > of the TEI Schemas with a valid TEI ODD file
>
> How about "A TEI-conformant TEI P5 document *should* document *any*
> customisations of the TEI Schemas with a valid TEI ODD file" ... Any existing
> TEI-supported customisations already have an ODD file, so that customisations
> are new is implicit?
>
> > -A TEI-conformant TEI P5 document must relate any renamed or new
> > elements, attributes, and classes to existing TEI structures using
> > tei:equiv.
>
> I don't agree with this one.  I think that any renamed or otherwise modified
> existing elements, or new elements (etc.) which have TEI equivalents should use
> tei:equiv.  But this isn't all new elements (etc.), because you can add elements
> which don't have TEI equivalents.  Those, I suggest, might be better in a
> different namespace.

Well, this is the reason I brought up the rewording: It seems to me
criteria are part of being a conformant document if we are comfortable
stating them as minimum requirements; and they are advice if we are not.
In the first of the two criteria under discussion, I guess the question
is how committed we are to ODDs as a standard for us?

For the second topic, I too was wondering about the "new" elements (they
were in your original list, though I couldn't see how they could be
named using equiv). So how about:

-A TEI-conformant TEI P5 document must relate any renamed elements,
attributes, and classes to existing TEI structures using tei:equiv.

-dan

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative <http://www.tei-c.org/>